St Johns is set near the beautiful coast of South Pembrokeshire and welcomes you to worship and witness. We enjoy meeting visitors from all over the world.
The Congregational cause in Tenby began around 1818 in a private room in George Street which was rented at £6 per year. In 1821 land was purchased in what is now Lower Frog Street and the following year the Tabernacle Church was opened for worship. In 1862 the building was too small to accommodate the number of worshippers including 160 children. In 1865 a piece of land on the present site was purchased for £620.
The foundation stone was laid on August 6th 1867 and twelve months to the day the church opened for worship.The original building included a vestry and conveniences, the tower and spire which included the clock was added in 1908. Designed to suit the needs of the congregation at the time; it provided a sanctuary for the proclamation of the gospel to the community in worship and music.
The high gabled ceiling is supported by antique cast iron barley twist pillars picked out in gold leaf. The arch ways at the west end, behind the podium were originally open to the adjacent hall, which could accommodate the congregation overflow, coiled shuttering screens separated the church from the hall, these have now been removed and the arches blocked.
The building is Grade II listed but in 2012 a modification scheme was undertaken to open up the front aspect of the church by fitting of glass doors and screen to create a welcoming area complete with disabled toilet. In 1972 the Congregational Church joined other churches in England and Wales to form the United Reformed Church. In 1987, after the Methodist church in Warren Street closed the two congregations united to form St Johns Church of today.
After 180 years the witness to the gospel is strong. The Church and linked buildings are well used by local people and visitors for worship, entertainment and community activities. Through the summer months we host concerts by various choirs and performers
Sunday Services : 11am
Wednesday: 10am-12, open for teas and coffee in the hall
Warren Street, Tenby, Pembrokeshire, SA70 7JT
Minister : Rev Stella Hayton contact Church Secretary Mr G Powell (01646 685666) (email)
Room Bookings : Contact Church Secretary (details above)